3/26/06 Uwharrie Woodrun Trail MTB Race

Uwharrie MTB Race 3/26/06
Thanks to Squonk for providing the perfect pre-race landing spot, a friendly face, a great cup of coffee, a map and preview of the course, and a much needed distraction for my pre-race jitters. This was my first mountain bike race and only my 3rd time on my new bike, I was very nervous about the upcoming race.


After a bit of confusion at the start, including a 15 minute role call of all riders, I made my way to the back of the sport group, which was definitely the right place for me. I knew I was in trouble as soon as we started, these guys and gals were fast! I'm thinking, pace yourself, you have 16 miles of unknown trail ahead of you. "Pacing" myself meant falling completely behind, forget that, so I caught up with the single file line of riders cruising towards the first hill. The hills were the only place I passed anyone, all day, only to get passed right back on the the downhills. I chalked it up to lack of confidence on the new bike.
I completed the first loop feeling pretty good and started my 2nd loop, only to get confused as I saw no one behind me and some folks coming the opposite way. I stopped and turned around only to find out I was going the right way and the riders I saw were the experts warming up for their upcoming start. That cost me about 5 minutes. The 2nd loop was very comfortable since I knew what was coming and I was warmed up, unfortunately it was on the last half of the last loop that all the pro's caught me, I spent several minutes simply watching them blow by, very frustrating way to "race".
I finished the 16+ miles feeling pretty strong, and could probably go back and do the same course 15+ minutes faster. The trails and views are beautiful and it would be well worth the road trip one day for some great running/biking. Being my first mtn bike race I was less than impressed with the organization, start and end but maybe that's what mtn bike races are like.
A few lessons learned:
1) Try to ride/preview the course before the race, I had no clue what I was getting into.
2) Warm up before the race, not during the race, it took me most of the first loop to even get warmed up, at least it made for a nice last half of the race.
3) I need a cool bike jersey and cool sun-glasses, I may not be very fast but next time I'll look like I am.
4) Try avoiding races in the future where they start people behind you who are only riding 1/2 as far as you, or worse, are semi-pro/pro racers. This made for a very hectic day of looking over my shoulder and worse, moving over to let folks pass.
5) Next time race in the beginners category, not the sport class.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home