Thursday, May 11, 2006

Tanawah Trail Report, Beacon Heights to Top of Rough Ridge

Saturday 5/6/06
Blue Ridge Parkway, NC Tanawah Trail
Beacon Heights mile marker 305.2 to top of Rough Ridge mile marker 303.7
4 miles out and 4 miles back


Information on the Blue Ridge Parkway
http://www.brptrails.com/

Information on the complete 13.5 mile Tanawah Trail
http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/Route/74-Tanawha-Trail.pdf

Elevation Profile
http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/profile/74-Tanawha-Trail.pdf

After a not so great night of sleep, I finally got started around 7am. The house we are staying in is right in Blowing Rock so it only takes me 5 minutes to hit 221 heading South and another 5 minutes to hit the Parkway. It is a beautiful spring day and the temperature is about 45 degrees at the start, warming up to 55 by the end.

I am really excited to be back in this area, an area where I spent almost 8 years of my life, where I met my wife and also got married. I am also excited to try my first run on a trail that I have hiked almost all portions of for years, where each overlook is a cornerstone in my memory bank and the views are permanent fixtures upon which I rely on regularly.


I start my run heading north from Beacon Heights and immediately realize, it’s colder than a Saturday at Wilson Park, there’s more wind than we find in Chapel Hill, and my entire body hurts more than I am used to. I also realize that running these trails really highlights just how rooty, rocky and rugged this trail is. After a very slow start and warm-up, I finally hit the Linn Cove Viaduct parking area and run directly under it and head north parallel to the Parkway. The terrain is very rough and in many places I end up rock climbing instead of running. As many times as I have been on this trail and in this area, I am always awe struck by the beauty of this trail, any look to the right provides a beautiful view of the Blue Ridge Mountains, a look back provides a view of the backside of Grandfather mountain and views straight ahead and down offer multiple stream/river crossings, including Wilson Creek and sections of the Boone Fork.


About one hour into my run, and only 4 miles, I make the climb to the backside of Rough Ridge, a very hard run, but one that is rewarded with one of the best views on the Parkway, Grandfather Mountain is immediately to the right, Table Rock and Stack Rock in the distance, followed by the Black Mountains. To the left there is a great view of another great hike and climbing area, Raven Rock.

The run back was much better, I was warmed up, had gotten used to the terrain and frankly all the steeper climbs were now descents. Eight miles later and I’m sitting on top of Beacon Heights, staring into the Blue Ridge Mountains, thinking this is pretty much how this area looked thousands of years ago. Other than the Blue Ridge Parkway which I know is right behind me, one cannot see one sign of civilization while staring at the view, the mountains are as green as they probably are all year long and during the entire run, I did not encounter one single person. For 8 miles and almost 2 hours, I had this entire section of the mountains to myself. It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning, made even better to return to a just waking household, fresh coffee and a hot breakfast.


Next time: Beacon Heights to Price Park, 13.5 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home